Are All FedEx Contractors Required to Be Drivers?
Becoming a FedEx independent service provider (ISP) is a lucrative business opportunity for the right individual. Not only are you backed by a reputable company in an industry poised for continual growth, but you can also look forward to a highly consistent source of revenue; all you need to do is make sure packages are delivered safely and on time.
One of the most important responsibilities FedEx contractors take on is the job of hiring and maintaining a team of safe and reliable drivers. Your drivers will be the lifeblood of your operation, and their performance and dependability are directly linked to your success—but do you need to be one of them?
No, FedEx contractors are not required to be drivers.
According to the FedEx website contractor FAQs page, “The business owners are not required to operate, or be licensed to operate, motor vehicles. However, a business owner who wishes to drive under FedEx Ground’s motor carrier authority may do so if he or she meets all agreed-upon safety standards and completes the driver qualification process.”
However, many ISPs do choose to complete the driver qualification process.
Because whether you choose to operate a pickup and delivery (P&D) business or a linehaul business, there may be times when a driver calls in sick or is unable to complete their route. Being a qualified driver will allow you to pick up the slack and keep your delivery routes running smoothly without delays or interruptions.
When hiring new drivers, you will need to make sure they meet the following requirements.
- One year of professional driving experience* within the last 3 years
- At least 21 years of age
- Ability to pass a physical and drug test from the U.S. Department of Transportation
- Hold a valid driver’s license
- No DUIs or DWIs within the last five years
- No record of a preventable accident resulting in death, serious injury, or payout greater than $100,000
- No record, citation, or conviction of using a handheld mobile phone while driving in the last 12 months
- No more than one moving violation in the last 12 months
- No more than three moving violations over the last three years
- No felonies in the last seven years
- No misdemeanors in the last three years
- Hold a valid driver’s license
*One year of driving experience may be from other industries, such as military or construction.
Are you interested in becoming a FedEx ISP? Partner with KR Capital today.
If you’ve been looking for a business opportunity that is profitable, flexible, and enjoyable, purchasing your own FedEx routes may be the way to go. As the nation’s premier FedEx route broker, KR Capital can guide you through the entire process from start to finish. Our experienced team can help you find routes in your area and ensure you are paying the right amount for your routes. We can also help you navigate the FedEx approval process and secure financing if necessary, all so that you can get your business up and running and start bringing in revenue.
For more information, contact us today at (503) 664-0753 or fill out our online form and we will get back to you shortly.